When it comes to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, having a properly fitting Gi is essential for optimal performance and comfort. Whether you’ve recently purchased a new Gi or your existing one has stretched out over time, learning how to shrink a Gi can help you achieve a better fit that enhances your training experience. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of shrinking a BJJ Gi, highlighting effective techniques and important considerations along the way. From soaking in hot water to understanding the factors that influence shrinkage, we’ll cover everything you need to know to successfully resize your Gi. So, grab your Gi and let’s dive into the art of shrinking to achieve that perfect fit.
1. Soak In Hot Water
To begin the process of shrinking your BJJ Gi, follow these steps:
- Place your BJJ Gi in the washing machine with warm water (between 110-120 degrees).
- Using hot water helps the Gi to form into a smaller size.
- Avoid using bleach while washing the Gi, as it can damage the color and fabric.
2. Hang Your Gi In An Open Space
After washing, hanging the Gi up to dry is essential:
- This step helps maintain the shape of the Gi and saves you time.
- Avoid using the dryer, as it can make the Gi shrink further and become uncomfortable to wear.
- Instead, hang it in an open space away from direct sunlight to avoid potential fading.
3. Rewash In Hot Water
If after drying, your Gi hasn’t reached the desired fit, you can repeat the process by washing it again in hot water:
- Carefully follow the steps mentioned earlier, soaking it in hot water and washing it with the same temperature range.
4. Place It In The Dryer
If you believe your Gi requires further shrinking, you can put it in the dryer on medium/high heat:
- However, exercise caution and keep an eye on it, checking it every five minutes.
- Prolonged exposure to high temperatures in the dryer can damage the Gi fabric.
Factors Affecting Gi Shrinking
The temperature at which you dry your Gi plays a role in the shrinking process:
- Using a delicate cycle with low temperature settings in the dryer will result in less shrinkage.
- For optimal results, set the temperature between 110-120 degrees, avoiding higher temperatures that could potentially damage the Gi.
Consider the material of your BJJ Gi, as it affects the shrinking behavior:
- Polyester Gis show minimal shrinking when exposed to hot water.
- Cotton and hemp-based Gis tend to shrink more when subjected to hot water.
Things Not To Do While Shrinking Gi
Avoiding Excessive Heat
Using excessively high temperatures during drying can be detrimental to the fibers of your Gi:
- High heat can cause the fibers to lose tension and reduce the durability of the Gi.
- Ensure you follow the recommended temperature ranges to achieve the desired fit without compromising the quality of your Gi.
How Much Do BJJ Gis Shrink?
Every Gi has its unique manufacturing characteristics, and shrinkage can vary:
- Most BJJ Gis shrink approximately 1 to 2 inches after washing in warm water.
- Follow the recommended temperature range when using the dryer for more controlled shrinking.
Qualities To Look For In A Good BJJ Gi
A high-quality BJJ Gi should possess the following characteristics:
- Durability: A good Gi should withstand the rigorous movements involved in BJJ practice.
- Lightweight: Look for a Gi that allows freedom of movement without weighing you down.
- Comfortable: A comfortable Gi enables unrestricted grappling and pulling during training sessions.
Can You Shrink A Gi Belt?
Yes, you can shrink your BJJ belt using the same steps outlined for shrinking the Gi itself:
- However, keep in mind that belts typically exhibit less shrinkage compared to Gis.
If your BJJ Gi is larger than desired, you can follow these simple tips to achieve a better fit. By carefully washing, drying, and considering the temperature and material, you can shrink your Gi effectively. Remember to prioritize comfort and durability when choosing a BJJ Gi. With this guide, you’ll be able to enjoy a properly fitting Gi for your training sessions.
We hope this comprehensive guide helps you in shrinking your BJJ Gi to your satisfaction.